Anyone using AMP and Contentful?

Hello!

I’m curious if anyone is using AMP pages and Contentful.
1.) Do you find them helpful for load times or SEO? Why or why not?
2.) Have you set up any sort of extension to make these pages easy to generate?

Hey Michelle,

I don’t know about anyone doing AMP with Contentful yet but I can answer your questions. :slight_smile:

1.) Do you find them helpful for load times or SEO? Why or why not?

AMP is Google’s preferred “type” of content today. It enforces fast load times through strong conventions/restrictions and heavy caching.

Google’s “news carousel” is the perfect example. You only get in there when you provide your content in AMP. Also, AMP pages get this little “thunder” in the news results which is an indicator for fast performance. Google claims that they’re not preferring AMP pages in the search results (ignoring the carousel here) but what they do consider is good web performance. So AMP pages could rank a bit better as they guarantee fast performance and not every “normal website” can compete with that. Building sites that are as fast as AMP is doable but hard work.

2.) Have you set up any sort of extension to make these pages easy to generate?

Generating AMP pages is relatively tricky. Assuming you have your content in markdown there is information missing. E.g. AMP enforces you to set image dimensions. This is information that usually is not included in markdown. To have a rich AMP page you also have to define the “article surroundings” which may or may not be present in your Contentful content.

So at the end, I don’t think that there is a “plug and play” way to generate AMP pages with just your content and you have to build something custom tailored to your needs at the end.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes