Contentful Feature Suggestions

Hello,

We’ve just started using Contentful and theres a growing list of things that would make the editor experience just a whole lot better. Heres a few to get started:

• Spell check in text fields? Come on. This one feels like a bit of a no brainer and I can’t really understand why the browser spell check has been disabled in the code.

• Searching by more than one term. Being able to search content for cat AND dog is basic functionality that pretty much all CMS’s should be able to do.

• Being able to share search filters by role is pretty neat as are folders to help organise them. What would be even more helpful is being able to share the folders with associated filters with various roles and not have to go through each filter individually to do this.

• Autosaving is great but does Contentful have to start saving as soon as someone clicks on Add Entry? We’ve got quite a few content editors working on our site and having to go through and weed out all the Untitled entries with no content in them is a bit of a pain.

5 Likes

Hey @mat.walker!

Great feedback :heart_eyes:
For the 1st item- forwarded to the team. This one needs to be discussed.

2nd item- using full text search, you can do the following: cat, dog. You’ll find all entries where both cat and dog exist.
It’s also possible to combine searches, i.e. AND operation: status : changed & createdAt < 2017-03-25.
More examples can be found here: https://www.contentful.com/r/knowledgebase/content-search/.

For the 3d one- very valuable feedback. I think it’s the matter of different approaches- either sharing saved searches in more granular way or sharing the full folder. Because, you may have filters in the folder that you would like to share and also filters you want to keep private. Sharing the whole folder wouldn’t give a possibility to address this case. What do you think?

I see. Valid point. Autosaving aims to prevent you from loosing data, but I understand your scenario with Untitled entries. Forwarding this to the team.

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback!

2nd item- using full text search, you can do the following: cat, dog. You’ll find all entries where both cat and dog exist.
It’s also possible to combine searches, i.e. AND operation: status : changed & createdAt < 2017-03-25.
More examples can be found here: Content search | Contentful Help Center.

Is it? I can’t get it to work on my instance of Contentful and when I emailed support the other day they said "It’s not possible to use the full-text search with multiple terms as you have described (cat&dog).

Instead, you’d have to do separate requests and concatenate results."

For the 3d one- very valuable feedback. I think it’s the matter of different approaches- either sharing saved searches in more granular way or sharing the full folder. Because, you may have filters in the folder that you would like to share and also filters you want to keep private. Sharing the whole folder wouldn’t give a possibility to address this case. What do you think?

Its not a big thing I’d just prefer to have a choice to share the folder and all its contents or just an individual filter.

@mat.walker,

Hm, if I may, I would like to double check the use-case. For the 2nd item, did you mean that you would like to find entries where cat or dog exist OR would you like to get entries where you have cat and dog together? It’s possible to do latter only.

As for 3d item- I see what you mean. Forwarded to the team.

Hi @andrey,

I would just like to +1 the request for spell-check. Definitely the biggest missing feature for our company so far.

Any suggestions on the recommended alternatives?

I did a cursory test with a couple Chrome extensions as a workaround and they did not work.

Best,
Chase

1 Like

Hi Andrey, I would like to add our voice to the first suggestion. We generate a lot of content in Contentful, and copying and pasting between Word and the text box is not super efficient to proceed great content. We’ve tried using Grammarly, but this does not seem to work in your platform. Any ideas on timing here?

1 Like

For spellcheck, you can change the appearance of the text field to a multiline and the browser spellcheck will work just fine. To get there, go to the Content Model tab in the Contentful webapp, into the Content Type and click settings on the field you want to change, then click on the Appearance tab of the modal that pops up. Last, select the multiple line option and save and save.

If you don’t like the multiple line option, you can install a UI extension for long text fields. See here and here for details and examples. I’ve tested the alloy editor and summernote and spellcheck works with both.

But what is with the markdown-editor, this doesn’t support spell-checking.
And because it looks like that this editor is not opensource, I can’t edit the editor and create my own ui-extension.
Sadly external plugins (like grammarly etc) doesn’t work either. Copying all the data between word and contentful is no good experience.

Hi Contentful team

Just wondering if there is any progress or updates on using spell checker in the mark-down editor. Our web editors would like to be able to use Grammarly.

We did an evaluation of the UI extensions Alloy and Summernote, but found too many advantages with the mark-down editor.

Thanks

I have the very similar issue with contentful. Spell check is a must feature!

Is there an update on spellcheck? This is a must-have feature for our project.