How does Contentful help with SEO

How can I optimize Contentful for SEO? Any SEO features? I need to build a business case for SEO capabilities and recommendation of having an audit and recommendations prior to CMS implementation.

Hey @isha!

Search engines being way smarter these days than they used to be :slight_smile: The best SEO there is – the content itself. That being said, Contentful can be used to manage seo-related metadata such as html page keywords, meta:description and even urls. They just need to be modelled as fields and filled out by the editors. Then the frontend code can simply pull in and display that information.

Feel free to ping me if you need more help with your case.

Hi @andrey

Still on the subject of SEO: My blog on Contentful displays only the domain name in the page title (the title that comes up on the tag) instead of the actual blog post title. How do I fix that?

Thanks,
Nada

Hi @subs,

The key here would be to create or use a field in your content model(e.g. websitetitle) and then retrieve that in your <title> HTML property of your website.

How do you create these fields? and what do you need to put in them to create meta data/tags?

@sophie You can create them as you would with other content model fields. You can use a combination of short-text and long-text fields and name them appropriately for each SEO property that would be utilized in your website.

I have never created content fields before or popped in SEO properties etc is there a tutorial/video we can watch or something to learn how to do this?

We don’t have a specific video on this, but you can think about in terms of how you’d normally structure SEO properties in a simple HTML code.
Google has several great articles on this:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35624?hl=en
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/79812?hl=en
The key here would be to create appropriate short-text and long-text fields in Contentful for each of the properties that you’d tie to your HTML code.

Hi,

Is Contentful compatible with any SEO plugin such as Yoast?

Thanks,
Caroline

Hi Caroline,

We don’t have a plugin analogous to Yoast SEO but you can easily achieve that by doing what we previously mentioned (creating a content model that can hold these SEO properties and be used in your pages programatically). In practice, it’s much simpler than it might seem, and you’d only need to write code to retrieve these in a query.

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for coming back to me. Can Contentful work with any plugins or is it just simply a case of building / mapping the fields?

Thanks,

Caroline Noone

Digital Marketing Manager

Marketing Communications

Tel: 01925 774251

Ext: 2051

SigLogo

Ombudsman Services

3300 Daresbury Park, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4HS

It would be simply the case to build your fieds. We don’t have any plugins to architecture it in a given structure.

Has this changed since this last comment on the thread? Looking for a plug-in that will help SEO (like Yoast).

I’m in the same boat. I’m unable to find several things within a page, like the noindex and nofollow section. Even finding a url slug section( i need to edit a lot of those) is impossible to find.

I’m going through contentful tutorial on YouTube. So far, it’s less intuitive that Wordpress, Sitecore and a few other CMS I’ve worked with.

2 Likes

Can someone from the Contentful team explain the second part of this message?

I understand the text fields, but how do I tie them to the actual title and meta description of the HTML code?

This depends on the way you build your frontend. Since Contentful is completely agnostic on how the frontend is built, it’s hard to give generic advice. If you already control the title of a page through Contentful, you can use the same approach to control other meta data as well.

I’m attempting to use Moz Pro’s on-page grader in order to improve SEO on my Contentful pages. However, the actual content on my Contentful pages isn’t able to be read by Moz, rendering the tool useless.

Any insight on how to use these two tools together?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @eblodgett,

Moz Pro’s ability to read your site’s content is dependent on how it’s rendered. If you use a static site generator or classic backend rendering, Moz Pro should have no problem accessing the content. If, and I presume that’s what’s going on, your site is using frontend rendering tools like Moz Pro will have problems.

Please check with your development team. They’ll be able to advise you what’s going on and whether it’s something they can change.

I’m having the same exact issue right now. I cannot find out how to apply “nofollow” “sponsored” or meta robots noindex, follow. I also need target="_blank".

1 Like

I ended up giving up on it and I let the content team handle it at their end. I trained them on the do’s and don’ts but I personally had no luck with the implementation of fixes.