Renaming the master environment alias

Hello,

I’m just wondering if & when Contentful will follow the lead of the rest of the tech community by renaming the master environment alias to something more inclusive (e.g. main)? Thanks -d

1 Like

Hi @dantrenz, thanks for your question, our team is currently looking into the topic! It is a big project since switching the name completely would break many user integrations, and the team is exploring the solutions.

In the meanwhile, we recommend using Environment Alias feature to create an alias for the master environment.

It’s great to hear that this is being looked into.

Unfortunately, master is my production environment alias (isn’t it everyone’s?):

During this opt-in process, we create a default alias with the ID master . This alias cannot be renamed or deleted.

Or, are you suggesting that I make a new alias called main and point my production environment at that? I suppose that is an option, tho master would still be lingering and might cause confusion with my team. I’ll consider it.

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

I’m also wondering about this. The term “master” is incredibly outdated, and it seems most other vendors have moved into the 21st century with this. Any update on when Contentful will follow?

2 years on any update? Please can this be escalated. What is the roadmap to solve this? can new projects have the option of picking the name for their production branch. Can there be a defined migration path for existing projects to transition over when and if they want to? Being unable to solve this suggests it’s a failure at a systems architecture design level which is a concern in and of itself. This is an very important topic for our team and clients so hope you are able to put efforts to rectify asap :pray:.