Roles: Misleading documentation about content rules in environments

From the “Environment Settings” section of the Roles editor screen:

Content level permissions only apply to the master environment and will not have an effect in non-master environments

I took this to mean that the content permissions above this section (e.g. “Users with this role can: Publish/Unpublish”) only apply to the master environment, which seems to imply that these content permissions do not apply to non-master environments.

However, when I disallow the publishing permission in this “Content” section, it prevents users in this role from publishing in both master AND non-master environments.

I would like to be able to manage role permissions differently per environment, or at least differently between master & non-master environments, as this text description seems to suggest.

At a minimum, I recommend that this documentation be updated (or simply removed, as it is misleading). If this is the intent of how content permissions are supposed to work, then maybe there is a bug.

Hi @dantrenz, I can confirm that your understanding is correct:

…content permissions above this section (e.g. “Users with this role can: Publish/Unpublish”) only apply to the master environment, which seems to imply that these content permissions do not apply to non-master environments.

When you grant a user ‘Can manage and use all environments for this space’ permission, they become equivalent to ‘admins’ of the sandbox environments. So the behavior the user is experiencing is actually not expected.

I made a test in my space but couldn’t reproduce the issue, do you mind submitting a support ticket so our team could take a closer look in the role settings and investigate?