Searching on multiple-reference fields

You should use the built-in tags feature for your topic-tags.

Tags can help to use multiple tags for filtering on contents in general, but it doesn’t help if you’ve got two different content types linked to the same reference field.

Example:
You’ve created a new content type “Person” and have a field called “Hobbies”. To have a description for each hobby the “Person” has, you’ve entered a content type for each hobby like a content type called “SportsType” and one called “FavouriteVehicleTypes” with different attributes. Now you want to add both “sports” and “vehicles” to the Hobby reference field. In the Frontend you now have to check for some Person that just likes “soccer”. You won’t be able to do this lookup as far as I’ve understood. In my project I had a similar case and a switch to multiple reference fields only linking to distinct content types was necessary (I’m using GraphQL and in SQL obviously such queries are standard).

The example is constructed and not 100% valid, but it explains the issue.

Searching on multiple references would be a nice feature.

Kind regards

Marc

1 Like

I just needed this and ran into this problem. This is absolutely a necessary feature. And I must agree that the documentation doesn’t indicate this restriction well, so even when I saw functional code in the documentation, it wasn’t clear too me it won’t work on multi-reference fields.

I’ll probably use tags then instead, but they of course have their own restrictions.