Discarding changes

Hey,

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question - but here goes:

If I made a change to an entry and then click “discard changes”, the entry remains in the “Published (pending changes)” state. Is that behaviour expected?

3 Likes

Hi @dnoesgaard!

I think it’s expected, because discarding changes is considered as change as well. That’s why you have “Published (pending changes)” state.
Sorry for the confusion!

Let me know if I can help you with anything else :wink:

1 Like

Hi @andrey,

Sorry to comment on an old thread but isn’t this a bit odd behavior. If I accidentally type something, I cannot undo the change. And even worse is that the edited content then is considered recently updated and edited by me, even if the original editor was someone else.

I’ve noticed two different behaviors related to this:

1. Make a change, publish, discard changes -> Status: Published (pending changes) (edited by me)
  2. Make a change, discard the change and go back to list -> Status: Published (edited by me)

The second case is worse as it means you cannot undo even something you don’t publish in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hello @andrey / @Alma ,

We are also running into similar as we go in and look at items change something, discard the change as it was not necessary/error, but then the content is still marked as changed.
Is there some way to look go about this, that it doesn’t get updated as changed by the person in question that looked at the article but just keeps it previous status.

1 Like

Copying in @Alma as @andrey did not respond to previous posts

1 Like

Reviving this thread rather than creating a new one. I’m interested if this was ever addressed, as I agree that a “discard changes” feature should roll the entry back to an unedited state.

Furthermore, even though the Help Center references the Discard Changes link, this feature seems to have been removed, as I no longer see the link in my UI. Furthermore, the the UI on my page no longer matches the images posted in the Help Center “Versions” article. Hard to learn the product when the help center references the wrong version of the product.

2 Likes

I also face the same problem: I do not want to publish the changes I made and I do not want to have it in state “changed” but rather discard all changes. Is there no way in the GUI to do this?

1 Like

How is this not a feature? This seems like one of the most basic features of any editor that does versioning like this.

It’s extra frustrating that the history compare feature is clearly showing that there are now changes to apply, so why even mark the status as “Changed”? Very confusing/risky.

2 Likes

Hi, I have removed an image by mistake, is there a way to discard the changes?

2 Likes

+1 on this. I removed an image and have no way to undo this even though I didn’t publish.

1 Like

Ctrl+Z will undo any changes you make in a field.

This is wrong in my opinion. If there is no difference between the content that is published and the content that isn’t published it shouldn’t say pending changes. The interface currently implies that something will change when published even though there may be no actual changes because they were undone.

3 Likes

+1 for this. quite confusing when there are no actual changes, but the new version were created.
cc: @andrey @Alma

+1 for this. It’s really frustrating that I can revert back to published version after changes

@contentful12 This has not been resolved. Please review.
A “changed” status is incorrect and not useful if a change has been discarded.

1 Like