How does Contentful help with SEO

Hi so as contentful has no SEO plugin, you suggested here to manually use the SEO tags that google support add it’s field in contentful model and correspondingly map it into the view layer where we are consuming api. So basically I might end up doing following
ContentfulTitle will map to
ContentfulDescription will map to
and similarly for keywords.

But concern here is usually how SEO works with usual CMS like wordpress works is that there are predefined HTML pages that are crawled and we improve SEO with some plugin. Now here in HeadlessCMS, as the content we are creating is being dynamically delivered to a SPA which can be in ANgular , React, Gatsby etc. How will the SEO work as the content is coming from backend dynamically and so are it’s tags.

For eg I have a page:
/blogs/
and then I fetch data for this from contentful and show content on my webapp with corresponding SEO tags and fields.
And similarly for all blogs we dynamically show content on /blogs page of webapp.
/blogs/blog1
/blogs/blog2

So how does indexing and web crawling works as these are dynamic pages on the SPA. If it was just a page like /contact-us and I fetch content from headless cms for this page SEO usually will work because this url has no dynamic route.

Please help me with this so that I can use contentful in my live projects

2 Likes

Hi Stephanie,

Measuring Contentful’s SEO capabilities can be a tough one to figure out quickly when you’re in that CMS validation/proof of concept crunch time.

One argument I make to SEO people for using Contentful is the granular but global level of control they can have over how SEO elements show up on your site. For example, you can wrap all of the images on your site in a Contentful component that has a required alt text field.

That’s a big win! You can then localize that alt text, get a birds-eye view of it for tone of voice, or make adjustments to it without coding.

The component would look something like this:

Media :framed_picture: component
---- Fields ----
Image - Media field (one file)
Alt text - Text field (short text)
Field Options
:ballot_box_with_check: Enable localization of this field
Field Validation
:ballot_box_with_check: Required field

I’ve written a bit more about how Contentful can help with SEO here if anyone is interested:

I’m also happy to answer any questions if you have them. :slightly_smiling_face:

-Connor

@connorrowland

I see most of the SEO tools like screaming frog, SEMrush, and Ahrefs aren’t able to crawl contentful pages, nor the Google is able to render the cache of the pages.

How can we get rid of this, I was doing an SEO audit of the website, but I wasn’t able to discover the number of pages hosted on contentful. our website is on Shopify+Contentful.

Thanks